The Rio Grande Building was built in 1917 as an annex to the A.T. Lewis and Son Department Store building at 16th and Stout and was at the time referred to as the A.T. Lewis New Building. The structure features glazed white terra cotta detailing in a Chicago Commercial style. Harry W. J. Edbrooke, nephew of prominent Denver architect Frank Edbrooke, was the architect. The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad purchased the building in 1942 and used it for their offices until 1973, contributing to the building’s name. giving the The building received a full renovation in 1998 into the Rio Grande Lofts.
Photos were taken May 2006. © DenverUrbanism, All Rights Reserved.